Monday 4 April 2011

I'm bored and I'm getting tired

I'm sorry.

This post is going to sound really negative but I'm finding myself really bored and I'm tired of seeing some things over and over.
I'd say that I see them in social media or marketing but the truth is that everything is just one big pile these days and so I'd like to just call it life.

I'm tired of seeing:
People who claim to be "into" social media: If you have to make this claim, you're probably lying. I see people all the time who to try to sell themselves to others as bloggers who never blog. I can tell you never blog because I went to your blog and can see that you blog once in a blue moon. I ended up on your blog not because I googled you but because you linked to it somewhere next to where you claimed to be a blogger. Same goes for people who claim to be "into" Twitter who never tweet or who joined in the last six months. It's like saying I'm an expert sushi chef after I make my first dragon roll. Just because you say something, doesn't mean it's true. If you're really into something and really good at it, we can tell and we know it just by looking at you.

Blogging/tweeting recaps of events: I know that this is a great way to get visibility and that people who aren't at events can still learn but every single time there is an event, I have to see hundreds of tweets about the event and then hundreds of tweets that promote posts summarizing the event. Why not try to bring something different to the table and talk about something different. Riff on the topics or speakers. Tell me something I couldn't have learned from being there or something different from what other people are doing -which to be honest is just reporting. I know there are people who will argue me on this one but I just see the same "tactics" over and over again and the execution is starting to bore me.

101 Discussions: I can't stand going to events, reading content or listening to events that give you 101 level advice about a topic. Often we see the X things you need to know or the X reasons why you need to do Y type topics and they are driving me up the wall. It's 2011 and if you aren't doing some things in social media, marketing or communications, then you need to get your head checked, get a new job, retire or step aside because here's a little nugget for you "the pace of change is quickening and if you're still working on a Web2.0 strategy you're going to be miss Web3.0". I'll send you a postcard from Web 4.0, send me your address.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I owe you a beer if we ever meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment